Routine physical activity and exercise are key in the prevention and treatment of functional decline and frailty with aging.
EmpowerU wellness program encourages physical activity and exercise to help individuals function at their highest level, expand physical health-span, maintain quality of life and reach autonomy – one of the strongest core values of maturity.
Regular exercise and physical activity provide numerous and far-reaching health benefits to older adults, including minimizing biologic and physiologic changes that accompany aging; preventing and decreasing the risk of chronic and degenerative diseases; and providing treatment for common geriatric syndromes and established diseases.
Strong evidence has shown the health benefits associated with regular physical activity include:
- Lower risk of early death, coronary heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, adverse blood lipid profile, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and cancers
- Prevention of weight gain
- Prevention of falls
- Improved cardiorespiratory and muscular fitness
- Reduced depression
- Improved cognitive function
Dimensions of Wellness
Wellness is a multi-dimensional concept consisting of seven (7) dimensions:
- Physical – choosing lifestyle habits that improve and maintain health and functional ability
- Social – interacting with others for mutual benefit; awareness of the larger community and participation within it
- Emotional – managing and directing feelings; coping with challenges and behaving in trustworthy and respectful ways
- Intellectual – engaging in creative pursuits and intellectually stimulating activities which may include problem solving and reasoning
- Spiritual – living with meaning and purpose in life; exploring beliefs and values that create personal peace and understanding
- Vocational – maintaining or improving skills, abilities and attitudes that help oneself be productive and satisfied in the work they produce
- Environmental – respecting nature and using the environment in ways that contribute to a healthier planet
A Unique Approach
The core principle of EmpowerU is that older adults have the capacity to grow, develop, modify and change. No matter the age, residents have the potential to optimize their health and well-being in mind, body and spirit.
There are three (3) important components of EmpowerU’s unique approach:
- Engage – by creating a new awareness, a new understanding and a new attitude about human aging that not only intrigues residents, but also empowers them to think differently about their own potential.
- Educate – through a variety of interactive experiences that explore the two key dimensions of physical wellness: food and function. Fun educational activities include group exercise classes, lively presentations by a registered dietitian and interactive culinary experiences with our chefs.
- Evolve – the multi-disciplinary nature of EmpowerU helps residents grow, develop, change, and evolve. They break down their aging stereotypes, embrace life, experience a new world of expanded opportunity and begin living at their full potential.
Programs and Services
- Fully equipped fitness center
- Regularly scheduled classes – balance, strength training, osteoporosis education & exercise, gentle yoga, water aerobics (with emphasis on arthritis, communities with pools: Glen Eddy & Beverwyck), line dancing, Zumba gold
- Other wellness services – nutritional classes, culinary demonstrations, healthy menu choices, on-site podiatry & hearing services